make-believe: a good night’s sleep

July 19, 2012
agoodnightssleep

as my high school latin teacher used to say: it’s been hotter than hades lately. i’m not usually one to complain about the heat, so bitterly do i hate the cold, but sleep in our luxurious loft* has been hard to come by these past few nights. today, i’m dreaming of the perfect summer sleep conditions: a slight breeze from the fan on low, a temperature cool enough for lightweight summer blankets, but warm enough to sleep in undies (the bra’s only there because i thought undies alone might be too shocking), the sweet smells of lavender and jasmine, and drifting off to sleep, the weight of a good book on my belly. yes, sounds about right to me.

1. ship-in-a-bottle pillow 2. sleep sachet 3. fan 4. pintuck bra 5. undies 6. the marriage plot 7. blankets

*another tiny apartment video, for which i forgot to brush my hair and j. forgot to smile. whatchagonnado?

• Reply Alexa July 19, 2012 at 1:06 pm

all the makings for a sweet summer night πŸ™‚ love that pillow.

you have such a great imagination πŸ™‚ thanks for sharing!

• Reply Nina Cutter July 19, 2012 at 1:20 pm

love! the video is adorable too. i'm curious- have you read the marriage plot? i was wondering if i should give it a whirl. πŸ™‚

• Reply Erin July 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

hey nina, i haven't read it yet! it's on my list. i'm especially excited because it's about kids who went to brown. i love knowing the place where a novel is set!

• Reply Mal July 19, 2012 at 1:29 pm

The marriage plot is on my list as well! My husband went to Brown, so I spent a lot of time there as well when we were dating (we met the summer before second year)

That bra and undies set is fabulous! I may need to pick that up for summer sleeping too.

Mal @ The Chic Geek

• Reply amber July 19, 2012 at 1:44 pm

This post almost makes me salivate. I am a raging insomniac and wish for the sweetness of easy sleep. And, er, al the lovely things in this post!

• Reply Daniella July 19, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Such pretty picks! That video of you two is so cute. Love your towels! And we have the same skinny garbage can in our kitchen! lol…

• Reply Txell July 19, 2012 at 1:48 pm

You're almost famous !

Here in Barcelona is really hot at the minut! Wishing to finish my last project in the university so I won't need to work with this heat….

• Reply Karen - Quilts...etc. July 19, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I love your tiny apartment and the video really showed it well. Do you think you will stay living in a tiny space for long or do you long for a larger space?

Karen

• Reply Erin July 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm

we're not sure karen! we love it here, though it would be lovely to stretch out a bit! for now, we're staying!

• Reply adrienne yancey July 19, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Love the video!! Your tiny apartment is so cute and well-organized. Great tips.

I'm also digging that bra + undie set!

• Reply Erin July 19, 2012 at 3:16 pm

thanks, lady!

• Reply stephanie July 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm

i love, love, love your little place! and thanks for all the tips…i think they are great even if you don't live in a super tiny space. πŸ™‚

• Reply Aimee July 19, 2012 at 3:39 pm

I just bought that fan after reading your post about purchasing a beautiful fan instead of a plastic box. It arrived on my doorstep this morning and can't wait to cool off with it tonight.

• Reply Joan July 19, 2012 at 8:06 pm

LOL Not shocking at all. Ugh…who could sleep in a bra. So uncomfortable. πŸ™‚
    Loved the video. You two look lovely, and it was fun to hear your voice.

• Reply sweet harvest moon July 19, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Love the fan! Love those cool summer nights

• Reply Cindy July 19, 2012 at 9:30 pm

the lingerie is so pretty and this video was very helpful. love your dresser!

• Reply Christina Flynn July 19, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I just found your blog when Yahoo did a feature on it. It is now under my favorites. Love your blog and the things you write about. And that video is great!

• Reply Amanda July 19, 2012 at 10:50 pm

The Marriage Plot is such an excellent book! Jeffrey Eugenides definitely has a unique style. Let us know how you like it! I believe I may share the same taste in books – I saw your photo of Wild by Cheryl Strayed awhile back and I loved that book too πŸ™‚

• Reply Rhianna Nelson July 20, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Oh man I cannot wait for it to be summer down under (only a few months to go!) so I can do this. I adore falling asleep wearing nothing but undies (just having the undies wouldn't have been shocking, but I do like that bra :P), with the fan blowing and a good book.

I'm officially going to start living vicariously through all of you northern hemisphere bloggers until it warms up down here! You've captured a good summer's night perfectly, thank you! Rhi xx

The Wildest of Dreams