April 21, 2017

1. these daffodils.
{never enough. thanks, grammy (and faye).}

2. this book.

{for being a non-whackadoodle look at essential oils.}

3. this ice cube tray.
{because for the first time in six years, our ice cubes don’t taste like freezer.}

4. this clear dresser top.

{and moving the baby changing station back to the kiddo’s space.}

5. this spring growth.

{for being tangly and otherwise perfect.}

yes, please.

100 woke women.

hand me up.

#vanlife.

light locations.

the heart of whiteness.

i’m easily grossed out by fridges. but i’m into this.

• Reply Granny P April 21, 2017 at 10:46 am

The freezer taste of icecubes–I know what you mean! When our current refrigerator/freezer finally burns itself out, we’re getting a more simple version with no automatic icecube maker. Besides, I know from my childhood that it’s kind of fun to hold a fresh tray and pull that cold lever and feel the tiny chips fly out and hit your skin.

• Reply Erin April 21, 2017 at 10:49 am

You seem to find exactly what I need. I very well may purchase that book about oils. It’s so frustrating to look into pinterest or google for essential oil uses/recipes/whatever you want to call them, only to realize you’re basically reading a Young Living or DoTerra ad. Ugh.

• Reply Erin April 21, 2017 at 10:53 am

Also – regarding #vanlife – I discovered this culture last spring and quickly became obsessed. Needless to say – guess who now has a 1974 VW Westfalia in their garage just waiting for the day she and her husband have enough time and money to hit the road for a bit…

• Reply Abigail April 21, 2017 at 12:02 pm

I am in diar need of an ice cube tray like this? Where did you ever come across one? Is it vintage..I would love to know. Thank you so much.

• Reply ERIN BOYLE April 21, 2017 at 12:47 pm

I bought ours at the Amazon link above! It’s new and made from stainless-steel, not aluminum, like most of the vintage ones!

• Reply ZH April 21, 2017 at 12:18 pm

I’m interested to hear your take on the van life story.

• Reply ERIN BOYLE April 21, 2017 at 12:35 pm

Ha. Presented without commentary 😉 I thought it was fascinating!

• Reply Eva April 21, 2017 at 5:05 pm

The ice cube tray comment made me laugh so much! I’m lucky that we have a pretty good automatic ice dispenser built into our fridge, but I hate when water gets that fridge taste from the ice.

I’ve just started to get interested in essential oils, but I’d love to know more. My trainer will sometimes roll a few scents on us at the end of a class, and I love it. Please share what you think about the book!

• Reply ERIN BOYLE April 22, 2017 at 3:08 pm

It’s terrific! Highly recommend.

• Reply Alix April 21, 2017 at 9:12 pm

That book looks so interesting… just requested it from the library!

• Reply CalifNative April 21, 2017 at 9:20 pm

Chain of hearts my grandmothers favorite so mine too.

• Reply Tamara April 21, 2017 at 11:50 pm

I read that van life story a few days ago. To me it read like a cautionary tale against letting social media take over your life!

• Reply ERIN BOYLE April 22, 2017 at 3:07 pm

Totally! An interesting take on how social media both allows for and hinders a lifestyle!

• Reply Patricia April 23, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Just when you feel like you may have a small understanding of something, you read an article like ‘The heart of Whiteness’ and you realize you still don’t understand shit. What a wonderful line up this week. Thx for sharing!

• Reply Sasha April 24, 2017 at 11:55 am

Thanks for the book rec. I would like to know more about eo, but like another commenter, hate being “sold” to by MLM schemes.
    As a doula I often used lavender for moms in labor, and especially during c-sections to minimize the smell of cauterizing. I used peppermint to, it ready helps energize and wake up. Now both smells bring back strong emotions of being with women in labor.

• Reply Katie April 25, 2017 at 6:48 pm

“Non-whackadoodle look at essential oils” might be my new favorite phrase. 🙂

• Reply Danny April 30, 2017 at 10:56 pm

I love this Oxo ice cube tray. If you ever saw how Oxo thinks about objects (see the indie film Objectified) – you’ll know they really think about these things. Again, an awesomely designed no-stink no-spill ice cube tray. If it wasn’t for this, I’d never keep ice in my freezer. https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-No-Spill-Silicone-White/dp/B007U256D2/

• Reply Suzanna November 9, 2017 at 10:22 pm

Do you have a preference in oil brands? Just finished the book. There’s a lot of junk out there to wade through!

• Reply ERIN BOYLE November 10, 2017 at 10:55 am

Hi there! Not sure what kind of oil you’re asking about! Happy to try to help!

• Reply Suzanna November 13, 2017 at 8:36 pm

Essential oils

• Reply ERIN BOYLE November 13, 2017 at 9:00 pm

Got it! I tend to either buy the store-brand oils sold by my local organic market or Aura Cacia oils, also sold at my local market!