October 7, 2016

1. this stack of dingy newborn onesies.onesies | reading my tea leaves

{saved from donation limbo and getting a second lease.}

2. this quilt. quilt | reading my tea leaves
{for making its autumnal debut. thank you, cool night breezes.}

3. this planner.
calendar |reading my tea leaves

{but especially the meal planning pages. shockingly motivating.}

4. this burgundy queen anne’s lace.
queen annes lace |reading my tea leaves

{because it’s the last of the year, no doubt.}

5. this pot of melted beeswax (and scraps).beeswax |reading my tea leaves

{waiting to be reheated and turned into candles again.}

craft cocktails, minus the booze. (via of a kind.)

each part of my life provided respite from the other and gave me a sense of proportion…”

pantsuit flashmob

elderly women for hillary.

sweatshirt + pockets.

encouraging tiny voters.

the rose room reopens

to read: in the company of women.

• Reply Robin October 7, 2016 at 11:10 am

Ooh… Please share more about the new planner! I love planners, and would be interested to hear any tips.

• Reply Erin Boyle October 7, 2016 at 11:23 am

Hey there: I put a little link to the planner up there in case you’re interested. It’s really beautifully designed and customizable! If you’re looking for meal planning tips, I talk about my general approach a bit in the chapter on food in my book!

• Reply Robin October 7, 2016 at 2:13 pm

I meant how you use it, and any organizational tips around planning, I suppose. But thanks!

• Reply Erin Boyle October 7, 2016 at 2:16 pm

Oh! Just some old-fashioned list making, appointment and meeting noting…that kind of thing!

• Reply Audrey F October 7, 2016 at 11:44 am

The pantsuit flashmob made my week! Impossible not to dance around to it.

• Reply Tobin October 10, 2016 at 9:08 pm

I’m not sure why, but it made me cry. Thanks for sharing this.

• Reply Stacy October 7, 2016 at 11:54 am

Elderly women for Hillary! So inspiring to hear their stories.

• Reply Emily October 7, 2016 at 12:18 pm

Will you please share more about candle making? I am always dismayed when i toss another hunk of a quick burning votive in the trash.

• Reply Erin Boyle October 7, 2016 at 12:20 pm

Sure! Sounds like the right time of year for an in-depth overview…will get to work.

• Reply EMac October 7, 2016 at 1:08 pm

Everything about the Rose Room is so visually stunning. So very, very pretty. I cannot imagine it being comfortable to sit and read in though. Perhaps it is best for quick browsing?

• Reply Erin Boyle October 7, 2016 at 1:12 pm

Ha!

• Reply Camila October 7, 2016 at 2:32 pm

Love the planner. Will look into getting one. I’m like a meal-planning machine nowadays. And the onesies – *sigh* Miss the newborn smell. Hope you and the baby are doing well. 🙂

• Reply Jenn October 7, 2016 at 3:14 pm

I have been using my mug warmer + a small metal pitcher to melt down the extra bits from my candles (I too hate throwing them out!). Much less messy than the double broiler in a pot to melt the wax when I am just doing small amounts.

• Reply Erin Boyle October 7, 2016 at 3:16 pm

Mug warmer!?

• Reply Jenn October 7, 2016 at 5:38 pm

Yes! Just the normal $5-10 type that everyone in offices uses to keep their coffee warm . Haven’t done it with beeswax yet, but it has worked well (if a bit slow) for other candles. Next up I am going to try melting directly in to the container I want my candle in- I am thinking a small enamel cup I have would work well.

Got the idea when I read a review where someone used a warmer to melt candles to release the scent since they couldn’t burn them.

• Reply Erin Boyle October 8, 2016 at 8:24 am

Fascinating!

• Reply Grace October 7, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Where’s the quilt from? It’s LOVELY.

• Reply Erin Boyle October 8, 2016 at 8:23 am

It’s from BlockShop! Not currently on their site!

• Reply Anna October 9, 2016 at 4:51 pm

Yes! I was drooling over that quilt too – sad face – wish it still available.

• Reply stacia October 8, 2016 at 6:59 am

i agree with emily on a tutorial on candle making. somehow you seem to find the easy simple way of doing something that might make someone go “ugh!”. can’t do that.

a couple weeks ago i bought a block of beeswax from my local bee guy. went online to see how i can make my own beeswax candle. it reads somewhat easy…..just cannot find the clean tin can to put my wax in.

i see you have your wax in what looks like a small sauce pan. now that looks like something i might have in my kitchen.

would just love it if you could take a moment and share how you make a candle.

• Reply Angy October 9, 2016 at 1:15 am

Why do I always cry watching a flash mob?!?!?! (Or alternatively think of Mitch & Cam 🙂

Thanks for sharing – made my day. Xx

• Reply Nicole October 10, 2016 at 11:32 pm

The ‘elderly women for Hillary’ article was an inspiring read, thank you for sharing!